Sunday 13 January 2013

The Importance of Exfoliating Mature Skin

All skin types can benefit from exfoliation but more so as we get older.

As we mature our metabolic cell renewal process slows down, dead skin cells build up leading to dull, lifeless, sagging  skin.  Just to give you an idea, young skin regenerates approx. every 14 days, mature skin approx. every 30-40 days.

Regular exfoliation tricks your skin into renewing cells more often, which leads to smoother, brighter, firmer skin with less wrinkles.

There are two ways you can exfoliate, chemical exfoliators which help dissolve dead skin cells and manual exfoliators which removes the top layer.

I find a mixture of both yields the best results.

Chemical exfoliators which include ingredients such as Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Fruit Enzymes and Retinols etc.....can be found in any number of skincare products which can be incorporated into your daily routine.   They gently boost the skins natural ability to replace old skin cells at a faster rate.

Manual Exfoliators include facial and body scrubs, micro-cloths, sponges, loofahs etc...anything that you can physically use to slough off the old surface layer of skin.   DON'T use buffing grains with sharp broken edges like crushed nut shell, sand or pumice stone as they can tear and damage your skin.

I think your skin tells you when it needs manual exfoliation.  It starts to look dull, feels rough, you may notice flaky skin around your nose.  With my dry skin I find I only need to exfoliate once a fortnight, your skin needs may be different depending on your skin type.

Next are some products which have worked well for me and I now include in my routine.  I think everyone is different and skin care needs change over time but this is working for me so far.


As part of my daily skincare routine, I like to use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream during the day and ROC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum at night.  Both these products contain Retinol a pure form of Vitamin A which helps stimulate collagen production, forms a protective barrier and reduces irritation.



Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream contains Retinol, Vitamins B5, C & E.  SPF 15 for UV protection.  This is a great daily moisturiser,  a pea sized amount covers your whole face and neck, super moisturising, absorbs well and is a great base for foundation.




RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum can be used morning and night before moisturiser.  Contains Retinol, Magnesium, Zinc and Copper.  I am on my third bottle of this serum, I have noticed a big improvement in my skin's appearance.


Once a fortnight I like to manually exfoliate my face, two products that I am really enjoying at the moment are Dr LeWinn's Facial Polishing Gel and Kosmea Daily Facial Exfoliant.  I like to swap them around depending on my skin's needs.


Dr LeWinn's Facial Polishing Gel contains Jojoba wax micro-spheres, naturally polishes your skin without any harmful abrasive action.  I like to use this when I feel my skin needs more exfoliation, my skin looks brighter and feels smoother after using this gel.


Kosmea's daily facial exfoliant is very gentle, contains crushed Chamomile leaves and ground Rose Hips to gently exfoliate, you can also use this as a soothing facial mask.  Contains Ground Rice flour and Kaolin Clay to help absorb impurities.



I like to use a Loofah once a week on my body.  Growing up, Mum always had one in the bathroom, reaches all those hard to get to places on your back.  Follow with a good all over body lotion.  One I reach for all the time is Urban Rituelle Mango Milk Body Balm, smells of Summer, just divine.







I have always looked after my skin and now in my 40's I appreciate anything that helps me retain healthier younger looking skin.

Please don't forget to comment, I would love to hear what works for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you and I will reply to all x0x